Thursday, December 16, 2010

French Movies

       This semester, I watched several different French movies. Through film class and French club, I watched movies such as "Pierrot Le Fou," "Une Femme est Une Femme," and "Mon Meilleur Ami." French cinema is intriguing to me, as it reflects French culture and French standards of comedy or drama, or in the case of "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," the standards of a sad film. In film class we watched and analyzed French films, which incorporated some background information on French directors and French ideas of how to make movies.
       I found "Mon Meilleur Ami" (a film we watched at a French club event) to be a funny film, centered around Daniel Auteuil's quest to find a best friend. A lot of the jokes probably went over my head, being relevant to French culture, but I got a good laugh at most of Auteuil's predicaments. One thing I think is interesting is the differences between what the English subtitles say, and what the actors in the movie are actually saying. I am just strong enough in French that I can recognize some subtle inaccuracies in translation. I often wonder why they change they translation for the subtitle to something that is slightly different from what is actually being said. 

1 comment:

  1. As you know, I am a student of le French but sadly I won’t be continuing with the French cinema class. I love French films because it offers such an interesting perspective of their culture and they really help you dive into the language. I watched one called He Loves Me He loves Me Not. While it may seem like a chick flick, let me tell you that it is not. There is an incredible twist in the end and it really messes with your psyche. I highly recommend it since you enjoy French cinema. I agree that it is quite interesting to compare how American movies are made compared to the French way of filmmaking.

    ReplyDelete